Re: [doc] Brake Fluid?

I agree, (i my case actually used the 5.1 , Halfords own branded
stuff.)

FWIW

Also as someone recommended to me, get a 'one person blead kit" from
Halfords  makes changing the brake fluid a lot easier with little
chance of getting any air in any of the lines. For the first time i
did this it was so much easier and less hassle. Do the lines in the
order of the furthest away from the fluid resovoir first with the
car on a level surface. I flushed mine through with an older spare
bottle of fluid i had first just to get all of the 'old 'crap out.
and dont spill any fluid on the facias / frame now :)

Kind Regards

Mike
In (got to 18 degrees today) Hull...

403/#2001

--- In doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Nick Tomlinson
<nickandkathryntomlinson@xxxx> wrote:
> I used Halfords Dot 4. (5 litre can as I changed the fkuid on 3
cars.)

> Once the bottle/ can/ tin is opened the fluid starts absorbing
moisture (hydroscopic).
> So, if you are unsure how many you need, buy smaller 500cc
bottles. You will waste
> less.

> As long as it is Dot 4 or HIGHER

> NOTE

> Dot 5 is sometimes classed as SILICON brake fluid.
> Dot 5.1 is the same standard as Dot 5 silicone but normal brake
fluid.

> Do NOT mistakenly buy the brake (green mineral) fluid for some
Rolls Royce/ Citroen models
> Adding this will certainly ruin the seals.

> I personally used Dot 4 but used more than usual to make sure the
pipes were flushed.
> Prior to flushing though I did strip down the calipers and ensure
all pistons/ bores were clean and the seals were in good condition.

> I would also recommend before you start that you can undo the
brake bleeding nipples.
> I soaked all mine with WD40 for a few days to help. I also smeared
some copper grease
> just around the threads to help remove them when the next change
is due.

> This is my preference, other people will have thiers.

> Hope this helps,

> NickT.
>

> Chris Williams <chris@xxxx> wrote:
>

> I am about to change the brake fluid, and am unsure as to exactly
> which one to go for. As I understand it the fluid is dot 4?
However is

http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk