RE: [doc] Re: BTI's from 2006

Do the words "Goalposts" and "Moving" spring to anyone else's mind?

Yet another stealth-tax.  Don't forget there was also a rolling programme of
free road-fund licence (car tax) for any car over 25 years old, with a view
to preserving motoring heritage.  As a car turned 25, so the tax became free
as it was re-categorised as a Historic Vehicle.

That was until this government got in, at which point a cutoff date of
January 1973 was imposed, although I believe any car registered until about
April 1973, it can be argued it must have been manufactured during 1972, so
is still tax free.  None of this helps us, though, but there was an article
in Practical Classics last month on the subject, I believe with a campaign
to reintroduce it.  If it were re-introduced then any car manufactured up
until January 1980 would count...

Unless, of course, the limit *has* been increased to 30 years, which would
take us to 1975, and Mr. Brown would still have an extra five years' cars'
worth of Tax to spend as he sees fit.

Which mag was comparing 1982D to the Lotus Esprit?  I'll try and pick up a
copy...

Rich Hanlon
(393/ 6126) - Not affiliated to any Political Party!