From: d.n.redfern
Sent: 20 December 2004 16:41
To: enquiries.nw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Personal Import of vehicle (classic car) from USA

Hi,
I am considering buying and importing a classic car from the USA and
I am a bit confused as to the the duty (import , VAT etc) that would
apply also there seems to be increases in duty specificaly for
imports from US traders but I am unsure if these would apply to the
vehicle in this case.   The car is a 1982 Delorean ( They where
originally built in Northern Ireland but most where shipped and sold
to the US market) with a current market value of around £10,000.

Any help or information you can give would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Dave

And got the reply:

Dear Dave,
thanks for your message.
The extra duties don't apply to cars so you would be looking at 10%
import duty on the price paid for the car plus the shipping costs
Then there would be 17.5% VAT on price shipping and the duty amount.
But the duty may be waived if it ca be proved that the vehicle was
manufactured in the UK i.e. Belfast.
VAT would still apply.
Another but is is a Delorean a collectors item??This could mean a
waiving of the VAT and a reduction in the VAT rate.
If you ring 01702 366077 they will give you a commodity code and the
applicable duty rate to that comcode.If it starts 97 you should be
quids in.
VAT liability can be a bit more complicated so if give a comcode with
97 as first two digits either ring 0845 010 9000 to check or send
another e-mail but head VAT Liability.
Sorry it seems a bit complicated but hopefully this will help
Regards
Alan Turner
NW Written Enquiries

I am not in a position to arrange an import at present but hopefully
this info will be of use to others on the list.

Kind Regards

Dave

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk