Re: [doc] something silly

Manual to Auto is not a straightforward swap apparently.  Besides the
different gearboxes, you'd also need new wiring and various control cables
and switches from the throttle spool (which I was looking at in close detail
just the other night).  I believe there are also some chassis modifications
(ie some relatively hardcore welding) required to allow the autobox to fit.

Also as Rich Hutchinson and I (and I'm sure plenty of others!) can vouch
from recent experience, gearbox removal and replacement is anything but a
straightforward exercise - to be able to extract it, the top part of the
engine needs to be dismantled to properly access and remove the clutch slave
cylinder, to allow the gearbox room to get out of the bottom.  The
alternative is to remove the back panel of the car, and remove engine and
gearbox as one.  All time-consuming stuff.

Personal preference would be to swap cars with an automatic owner who wanted
a change!! There may be someone out there...

Rich Hanlon
(393/ 6126 (auto))