[doc] Clutch Done! (Long)

For those interested...

Believe me it's so frustrating watching the rev counter rise and nothing
happen motion-wise, not to mention embarrassing as the local chav-mobile
goes tearing past.
Since starting to drive it around 6 months ago 1274 has always suffered
a slipping clutch making those quick getaways somewhat tricky. That
coupled with leaving a small patch of oil wherever it went and a nasty
hypoid oil smell, I suspected the gearbox was seeping onto the clutch,
engine, exhaust manifold, chassis and anything else it fancied.

So it's spent the last couple of weeks on ramps in bits. The whole of
the gearbox was caked in a mixture of Arizona sand and oil resembling
putty. Inside the bell housing was completely soaked in gear oil, along
with the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel.

I've had the gearbox apart and replaced all the seals, a job I was not
looking forward to, but which turned out to be a lot simpler than
anticipated. An utter pain getting the parts out of the Renault
dealership, 'till they realised I wasn't going to simply go away and
they'd actually have to put some effort into helping me. So anybody who
needs gearbox part numbers - I have lots...

I jetwashed the gearbox, and cleaned up the back of the engine,
literally removing over 2lbs of mud and gunge. A new clutch and
pressureplate/release bearing installed (thanks Stuart Dyke for the part
Nos) Gearbox and engine now back together.

I have to extend my profuse thanks to Richard Hanlon (393/6126) for his
help - without which the task would have been utterly impossible. The
whole removal/refit job was performed under his car port on ramps (yes,
RAMPS - not a lift) and took two long days of back breaking work. In the
end his neighbour Russell had to join us for both removal and refit
procedures!!!
We're so lucky in our club to have so many members willing to help each
other out.

The results? Wow! Goes like stink.
Now I have full power at my disposal it's a joy to drive. I can't help
stamping on the accelerator every time I move off to enjoy the roar of
the engine and matching movement of the car. Now I'm just looking
forward to some quieter roads so I can really have a play.
Every task completed introduces me to a 'new' car. Now if I can just
stop the damn wobble on the front disc I'm sure another new driving
experience awaits me - when I can finally brake in a straight line!!!

Rich H
DOC 365 VIN 1274 (good riddance to bad clutch)

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk