Re: [doc] Hole in the block

Thomas Mc Auley wrote:

the engine bay is surprisingly clean for that much mileage so I guess it has been well maintained.

The hole in the block may suggest otherwise.... With regular services, these engines will do 500,000 miles with no major failures. I'd class a hole in the block as pretty major.

One more question, say it was the block, if I bought a new one from DMCH, would it be possible to put all the old parts onto the new block with DMUK 's help? (only the best ;)

Yes but it'd be cheaper and easier to find a complete Volvo engine and transplant it. Plus "all the old parts" would result in a pretty poor engine if you put worn parts in a new block.

I think you should get specific with the seller and pin him down to explain where the leak's coming from. If he can't give you any more info than "it's in the block", I'd personally offer him the asking price minus the cost of a new crate engine. If he says no, walk away.

Martin