Re: [doc] Cat replacement / Lambda-sensor

Re: [doc] Cat replacement / Lambda-sensor

Thanks Martin -

So what you're saying is that I can simply swap the cat with a cross-
over pipe and leave the Lambda-sensor/Lambda-system on the car as it
is without adjusting anything???

I've have always thought (obviously incorrect)that the Lambda-
sensor/Lambda-system/Catalytic converter interacted with each other,
so for instance, if the cat was removed, an adjustment would be
needed on the other Lambda-components.

To sum it all up - the Lambda-system will work as before regardless
whether the motor is fitted with a catalytic converter or a cross-
over pipe, right?

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759

--- In doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <webmaster@xxxx>
wrote:
> The lambda system reads the emissions* through the lambda sensor
> upstream of the cat, so getting rid of the cat will not affect the
> lambda system.
>
> Getting rid of the lambda sensor will put the lambda computer
into "limp
> home" mode and set the mixture a bit rich. You could dial this
back
> down to anywhere between 1% and 2% and still pass a UK MOT and not
> damage the engine (1.5% is the setting for non-lambda european
Volvo and
> Renault PRVs) but you'll still be relying on the lambda computer
and
> frequency valve. The correct way to remove the lambda system is to
fit a
> metering head that doesn't have a frequency valve port. However,
once
> this is done, you've still got ignition timing appropriate for a
leaner
> mixture. So unless you plan on changing Metering head, ignition
> distributor and control pressure regulator, there's not a lot of
point
> in getting rid of the lambda sensor.
>
> The cat bypass reduces load on the engine so it does make a
noticable
> improvement.
>
> Martin
>
> * it actually reads the oxygen in the exhaust but this is used as
an
> indicator of how complete the burn is in the engine and therefore
what
> the emissions are
>
> Stian Birkeland wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >If you swap the cat with a crossover pipe, would this effect the
Lambda-system?