Cheap air con fix.

How things change Martin.

It's not so long ago that you would use almost any obscure cross-reference
part to save a few pennies.

I don't now how much a DMCH new air con compressor is, but I bet its more
than 30GBP.

Obviously a brand new one of anything, is going to be better than a
second-hand one. But the second hand ones are on sale or return, so the
risks aren't too great.

My personal experience of air con compressors (on two different cars) is
that they had both seized up. Both on cars that had done less than 1,000
miles each from new.

My air con mechanic and friend, Stewart, took it all to bits and discovered
that one of the 5 tiny little pistons had seized up, probably due to lack of
oil.

Stewart tells me that it's not possible to dip the oil and if you overfill
them, it also wrecks them.

The only way to ensure that the oil level is correct is to empty them, and
then re-fill with the proper amount of the correct oil.

When he had it apart, he said that it looked just like a Citroen one. Sure
enough, it was.

All he needed to do was change the end bits over, re-check oil, re-gas and
get working, all done in one day and Jolly good value for 100 GBP all in.

Even if you had a new one, I would certainly get the oil checked.

Quite a few of our boys are on a budget and where 100 may be feasible,
perhaps 3 or 4 times as much may not be.

Just my 2P

Chrispy.