Re: [doc] Shipping

Found the name of that shipping company I used -
http://www.atiusainc.com/index.html
They go thru Wallenius line aswell. It was ro-ro, $900 from Port
Elizabeth, NJ to Cork, Ireland, via Sebrouge, Belgium.
I also paid $300 marine insurance on top of this to cover damage to
the car up to $30,000.
It took about 6 weeks, as it missed the boat to Ireland from Belgium
and had to wait to get the next one.

Some advice about shipping ro-ro, if I was doing it again, I would
remove the fuses for the electric windows and courtesy lights, when I
got the car in Cork, the battery was flat, and the drivers side
window was left open, it took me weeks to dry up the carpet in the
footwell.
Also for customs, don't leave the safe behind the drivers seat
locked, I did and they forced it open with a crowbar.
They also took up the carpets on the parcel shelf and the boards and
left them in a mess behind the seats. They broke the trunk cable, and
took off the coil cover from the engine bay and threw it loose onto
the passenger seat.
When I left the car in New Jersey I took note of the mileage. Somehow
it racked up 12 miles being driven onto a very nearby boat, being
unloaded, reloaded on a different boat and arriving in Cork. I was
not too happy about that either, I'm sure there was an element of
driving for fun there by one of the port workers either in NJ or
Belgium. When I ship my car back to the USA I'm going to put it in a
container.
John

--- In doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ROBLAMROCK@xxxx wrote:
> Ian,
> I used Wallenius (http://www.wlna.com/) to ship my car from USA to
Liverpool
> back in 1990. They were very good and best price. No container,
ro-ro as you
> say.
> Robert
>
> In a message dated 26/11/2003 03:09:46 GMT Standard Time, ian@xxxx
> writes:
>
> > Anyone know of another Roll-on Roll-off shipping line,
called "Wallinus"