Re: FW: Re DOC 4 Belfast...long.

Hi Chris

Good to see you again at the weekend, Exhaust now competed so I may
call in and say Hi when I am flying down the A38 !

could not go there without her.

Congrats to you all on a great NEC stand, how many new members did we
acquire over the weekend ?

Regards

Robin
#11431

--- In doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chris Parnham" <chrisparnham1@xxxx>
wrote:

> I try and reflect my DOC UK members wishes, I am not interested in
> controversy or confrontations and would urge my members to bite
their
> tongues and follow suit.
>
> However, if I am going to move this suggestion forward, it would be
nice to
> know the likely level of support, before we get too far down the
line.

> My thoughts are:-
>
> A low cost, short duration meet in Northern Ireland, primarily to
enable
> members to drive / ride around the test track.
>
> There would be no expensive helicopter rides or posh hotels.
(unless people
> choose them)
>
> Not all members have sufficient funds or time to enable them to go
flying
> off to various parts of the world to join glamorous international
events. In
> any case, owner-drivers would almost always be "DeLorean-less" at
such
> events.
>
> My personal favoured way to travel to N.I. is the overnight ferry
crossing
> from Liverpool, where you drive on the boat at tea time, have a
nice meal in
> the resultant ( included in the ticket price) a few drinks and off
to bed
> around 11ish. Up early next morning and a full breakfast ( included
in the
> price) just before the ship docks. Arrive about 08.30ish. Nice
drive
> around Belfast and eventually ending up at the test track at say mid
> morning. But you could pick other routes/ times if you wished. All
would, in
> any case be booked individually. But I would of course try and get
some sort
> of group concession.
>
> A properly organised low speed drive around the track, hopefully
taking
> none-car owning DOC members as passengers. Until we have all had
our fill,
> say mid-afternoon.
>
> For the economy minded, that could be it, followed by some driving
around
> the NI countryside or Belfast and re-join the boat early evening.
>
> Or back a B&B or hotel, in small groups, all independently booked
from some
> suggested lists. The next day could be a leisurely drive up the
Ulster Folk
> and Transport Museum, where we would all pay independently to view
the
> pro-types etc. The car park is huge and we could have a good photo
> opportunity.
>
> Again, that could be it for some, drive off back, eventually to the
ferry.
> Others may choose to extend their stay for another day or two and
do some
> proper sight seeing. I have been to Belfast numerous times and find
the
> countryside and residents to be quite charming....especially if you
happen
> to driving a DeLorean!
>
> A club member has recently done, as part of his work, a
detailed "risk
> assessment" and detailed plans for "test track type driving" ,
which he
> personally implemented and organised for a major car maker. And
yesterday
> volunteered to share his knowledge and documented routines with
us. A small
> charged would be paid by each car participating in the test track
part, this
> would go towards the insurance cost. The club would pay the
remainder (if
> any).
>
> Although this is primarily aimed at UK DOC members, we now have a
good few
> members in all parts of the world, including the USA. Because of
this,
> Yesterday I took the opportunity to seek James Espey's advice, as
to when
> would be good for our American cousins, should they want to attend.
Although