RE: [doc] Re : Wiring Harness

Hmmm,

This may or may not be some help...apologies for it's length

It sounds like your binnacle ground wire (assuming it is ground) is
getting voltage via a diode where it shouldn't be (hence the 0.5 - 0.7v)

However if this ground wire were actually connected to the
battery/chassis, then you would have +12v going from the battery via the
diode to ground, which would cause the erroneous diode to frizzle rather
quickly.

This leads me to believe that your binnacle ground wire might not
actually be connected to ground at all.

This explains why you get 0.7v reading between chassis ground and said
wire.
If it were actually connected to the battery/chassis, it should be
impossible to get a voltage reading.

Removing fuse 12 is killing power to a part of the system which is
feeding power via this diode, and turning on the ignition restores it
again. Fuse 12 is used solely to power the interior lights (glove box,
courtesy) and door lights, on the diagram, 41 (driver door switch) is
actually at two locations, the common wire PW between them is connected
to, guess what, the interior lighting circuit, position one on the
ignition switch and the buzzer box. I suspect the diodes on the interior
lighting circuit are the source of the stray voltage, but unlikely the
root of the problem.

I can't tell where the binnacle ground is on the cct diagram since it's
just marked as several ground symbols. Your next bet is to trace this
'ground wire' to find out: a) whether it is a ground wire and b) if it's
actually connected. This may also be causing strange effects on your
other lights since this 'floating' ground could well be finding other
paths through your lights etc.

Rich H