Re: [doc] stud=engine out- any ideas

Unfortunately, and I think Alan had the same problem as Dave with his project car, the problem comes when some previous owner had ballsed it up before and just slapped it back together with the manifolds on fewer studs, the broken ones left where they were.

The only studs I've snapped have always snapped at the manifold, not the head. A combination of a good stud extractor, heat and freezer spray, hammering to free it up, and penetrating oil has got all of them out. I will say though that one of Steve's only came out because the head was coming off anyway, and it only came out with the massive heavy duty stud extractor that lives in our toolbox - I would have hated to do that in situe.

Martin

Chris Parnham wrote:

The trick is NOT to break them off in the first place.

I know they can be difficult, but believe me a good mechanic, taking his
time can usually manage it.

Definitely not a DIY job. In my opinion.

Chris Parnham (Two sets replaced with no breakages)..not by me!