Re: [doc] DMUK

Thomas Mc Auley <mcauleydmc@xxxx> wrote:

> I have a few years to fix up a De Lorean anyway, because I probably
wont be able to get insurance for a few years. I am really pushing to
get the car because I see loads of people on the internet always
saying 'I cant wait to get my De Lorean', and I fear that they will
all be 'swallowed' up before I can get one. Do you think this will
happen?

I doubt it personally. The value of DeLoreans IS increasing with the
help of the internet and public awareness but in the years I've been
owning/following them I've yet to see any "stock shortage". EBay has
always had a good number available for instance.

> My brother tells me that there is V8 engines on autotrader for
around £300. Of course they need striped and rebuilt, but my brother
is an engineer in Shorts, so he knows his stuff, and we have a place
with all the necessary tools. But then you have to check what you will
have to do to the car to put that engine in.

Do your research here. A few V8s/V6s/Rotarys have been fitted to the
DeLorean with success. But with V8s in particular they are often
either too long of too deep to clear the chassis. The Northstar 4.6 V8
(300bhp) will fit but the company in the US that do the conversion
charge $20k to do it. Also if you are going the route of the V8 you
must also be able to source and fit a gearbox too - again it's down to
research.

> Now that DMUK has opened, there is a place 'close by' who can do
major work on the car, and know what they are doing too! Im not sure
what to do now. Please send suggestions

Heh.. they do indeed know what they are doing. Though I wonder if they
would enjoy the "engineering challenge" of fitting a Yank V8 to our
pretty little European car! LOL!

If you're gonna go mad - go all the way. Find a wreck and stick a
Corvette LT1 in it with a supercharger - go the good side of 600bhp
then let us know how you managed to keep the nose on the ground ;o)

Dan
Vin#5284 - Hana
911
Cally-T