Re: [doc] RE: "Being all knowing"

Chris Parnham wrote:

It has been mentioned to me on several occasions recently, that some members will not now send posting because of "instant EXPERT" criticism waiting to pounce!

It's like that on the DML too and I personally have adopted the attitude that unless I'm 100% sure of something, I tend to make suggestions. Only recently on the DML one well-known poster stated that you could tell if the cylinder liners had been lifted by "eyeballing them" - a movement of less than half a millimetre can wreck the gasket. Anyway, One thing's for sure, e-mails are all too easily misinterpreted because they cannot convey tone, body language etc.

However, I'm going to stick to my guns here - jacking on the crumple zone is extremely bad - have a look at this shot of my car:-

http://www.delorean.co.uk/pictures/DCP02236_1.jpg

See how far out in front the roll bar mounts are on the crumple zone - and the steel is only thin there on the point of a triangle. And it's completely unsupported above it (something not clear from the photo). For those reading this, look at the large rectangle that the tow-hooks mount to on the front corners - that's very tough and thick - use that for jacking, if not the jacking points on the underbody.

As you say Martin, none of us knows everything, I certainly don't, but I've
jacked up hundreds of cars over the years and have seen the damage at first
hand to numerous DeLorean's where the jack was "just put under the front",
(or back) catching suspension wishbones, bending metal and cracking paint.

Often the lower control arms are bent due to the car having been tied down by them at some point - lots of trailers are set up to use this method and I have had to tell an AA bloke this before now. I spent some time straitening one of mine on my project car - luckily it wasn't bad. And FWIW got painted with Hammerite afterwards <grin>

Martin