.....RE Air conditioning.......LONG

List,

I have had my system converted to R134a, I have had some people say
that it is not the best idea, but to be honest the ac didn't work
when I got the car so I had nothing to loose.
The place I took it to did a very good job and explained many of the
myths surrounding the R134a conversion.

The main reason R134a gets bad press is because in America you can
go into a Halfords equivalent store and by a DIY conversion kit. To
my knowledge this is what causes the problems, because doing air con
work the DIY way does not allow you to evacuate old gas and oils
etc.. and that's where the problems occur.

I had mine converted 2 years ago, which involved:

System evacuation
System flush
Fitment of new R134a compatible connections on the compressor
Oil change
Re-gassing with R134a & leak search with UV lamp

The ac is still blowing cold air, the chap I got to convert it said
even on a brand new air con system manufacturers recon on 5-12% gas
loss per annum! requiring re-filling every 4 years or so.

The main reason for the ac gas leaking is lack of use, you should
use the air con for at least 10 minutes on full cold and then 5
minutes on full hot (heat drys the vents and prevents mould growth
errrgh!!) at least every fortnight summer or winter.

Without this use the oil doesn't lube the seals, they shrink and
hence the gas escapes.
The additional of UV dye when charging the system is IMHO definite
bonus otherwise if it leaks out you have no idea where the leak is.

A lot of people don't drive their cars enough to keep the system in
good health, like many parts of our beloved cars they like to be
used and not left sitting idle.

I will test my air con next weekend with my digital thermometer in
the air vent, when I 1st had it converted 2 years ago it was blowing
just 2degrees C which was quite chilly.

The problem with the DeLorean is that there is so much glass and
heat-conducting steel that I don't think even the best AC in the
world would keep it `ice cold'.

James RGUK