Re: [doc] reluctant starting

Hi Tony

Glad to hear things are running okay again. I can't think of anything to suggest really except that the "hot start" trick of swapping the CPR connector to the cold start valve will force the cold start injector to fire even if the engine's warm. Otherwise that valve should only fire when the engine's cold and you crank. Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is that it's either ignition related (do you smell petrol when the engine's cranking but not starting? - then it's an ignition problem), or the CPR might need attention. I've had the problem, Chris Spratt's had the problem, and Dave Woodyard's having the problem on one of his cars now.

Other than that, my own car sulks quite often for no readily apparent reason, but I've put it down to not changing the rotor and cap as yet - still 22 years old!

It really depends on how your engine's set up, but it is correct that a turbo'd engine should have less go than a stock counterpart - remember Si's Skyline? it moves like a 1.6 below 5500rpm. The Island turbo kit includes the need to have the distributor recurved - that would account for less power "below" the turbo.

Martin

lawther wrote:

I read up about the cold start system and had a good prod about this morning
I started the car (first pull) then stalled it and it wouldn't start up
again. I pulled the wires off and checked things with a meter and they
appeared to give credible readings and the car started happily without the
cold start valve connected. I reconnected everything and it was then OK. Went for a run to Halfords to buy a celebratory new chamois, washed and
cleaned the car, let it get cold, started it up, stalled, stopped and
started several times and it all seems OK now. It is a bit unsettling as I
don't know quite what I've done but I dare not complain.

Generally it seems to be running all right, and making nice slurpy noises,
but is a bit flat at 2000 rpm. It doesn't pick up very easily when you
apply gas. When you get to 3000 you can feel the turbo wanting to kick in
but I am limited at 3k until the pistons are run in.

Looking forward to our Summer meets.

Tony

back on the road in Southampton

DOC UK Website: www.delorean.co.uk