Re: [doc] New AC Panel

On 31-01-2003 22:47, Stian Birkeland wrote:

> Does anyone know if and when a new AC Panel will be manufactured?
> The lights behind the panel heat it up causing the AC decal to wrinkle.

Don't hold your breath... I don't think these will come out very soon as
there seems to be very little demand and/or too much original stock left.
DMC Texas will want to get rid of the originals first, else they'd get
stuck with NOS they can't sell because the design has been superceeded...

> I can't imagine the cost being so high if produced in the Far East...

Production ISN'T expensive, TOOLING IS. Besides that, how how many do you
think would sell? Even if ALL cars produced were to be retrofitted it
would only be around 8 thousand...

For a part to be reasonably priced you have to spread out the design/tooling
costs over as much units as possible, so you'd need quite a large production
run not to make the price shoot through the roof...

And look at the remanufacturing history; does anyone remember James telling
us the "new" digital spedometer would be out next summer? That was TWO
summers ago! They'd be idiots to bring that out; they're better off selling
all the crappy Angle Drives and speedo cables they have in stock (my guess
would be a couple of hundred of each...)

If you're really concerned about warping your decal, modify the circuit to
have the lights come on with only your lights on (dimmed is possible too
with only a relay swap!) or take out the relay, keeping them OFF...

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000