From: "Phil Peters" <PhilPeters@xxxx>
To: <doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, December 22, 2002 4:15 PM
Subject: [doc] I Love The 80s

> Season's greetings all,
> Just wanted to give my tuppence-worth on the "I love the 80s" clip (by the
way, thanks to Ken for the download).

> First off, I must say I was quite surprised to find that pop artists
Anastacia and Ice T were among the "experts" invited to speak so
'knowledgeably' about our beloved "maxi pad with wings". At least Quentin
Wilson got some members of the motor industry to talk about the car on his
show, rather than some two-bit pop artists. (yes, I KNOW it was VH1 but
still.)

> Indeed, the people interviewed about the car display their blatant and
seemingly endless ignorance by coming out with the same old NEC-style
comments that the DOC have to put up with twice a year from the know-all
members of the public who consider themselves to be experts about a car
which THEY think is made out of aluminium! For example, in the VH1 clip we
get comments such as the classic "If you park in a parking lot, you can't
open the doors." I despair. On behalf of those who are naturally furious
about this comment, let me reiterate that THE DELOREAN WAS ENGINEERED PARTLY
BY LOTUS. Now in all honesty, do you really think that Chapman's team would
have let the DeLorean enter production if you couldn't even open the doors
in a car park?! I mean come on.

> As for comedian Chris Titus, I personally don't see the correlation
between JZD getting busted for coke and sales of the car going through the
roof. Where is the link? Or am I the odd one out here by being the only
person in the world who doesn't buy a car on the strength that the guy who
built it was copped for drug trafficking offences?! And if Titus bothered to
look at the history of the car and the company, to my knowledge the sales
did NOT improve. Indeed the company went bust and the remaining stock was
auctioned off either in the States or the UK. Dave Howarth told me many
years ago that demand for the DeLorean really only began to increase in the
1980s after the release of the BTTF movies.

> All in all, this was yet another review of the DMC-12 which was a complete
crock and once again I find myself preaching to the converted, but there we
go. I agree with Dan W in that I doubt we will ever see a review of the car
which is thoroughly pleasing or accurate. Nevertheless, in the meantime I
intend to enjoy my maxi pad with wings.