Re: DeLorean article in CCM.

Dear Mr Westworth

In addition to Chris Parnahm's comments below, I would like you to go back to your June 1998 edition of Classic Car Mart. Had you used your own magazine as a source of material on the DeLorean, perhaps you wouldn't be getting these complaints now. That issue contained two well researched, balanced accounts of both the car and the story, plus a "spotlight" on the DOC.

If you are having trouble locating a copy of the June 1998 magazine, please feel free to download it from the DOC UK Website here

http://www.delorean.co.uk/download.html#Articles

For your information, I did seek permission before reproducing it.

If you had any idea how often DeLorean owners have to dispell the myths put about by articles like your most recent effort, you wouldn't wonder why our reaction is so strong.

Thanks for your time

Martin Gutkowski
DOC UK Webmaster and owner of VIN #1458

Chris Parnham wrote:

Well Mr. Westworth ( Editor Classic Car Mart),

I see The spirit of Quentin Willson lives on in the shape of Paul Guinness
( Paul.Guinness@xxxx ) On pages 44/45 of the latest issue,
he does a right old "hatchet job" on our cars. There are also, 4 (old)
pictures of SIJ 1079, now the Hooper's car, one of only 12 Right Hand Drive
Examples ever made. With the 156 BHP that was to be the norm, in the
"Euro-spec" cars, rather than the De-Toxed 130 BHP in normal American
examples. It certainly was not the car supposedly driven by your Mr.
Guinness.

Why do you think it is appropriate to do such a negative piece of
"Journalism" on a 20 year old car, much loved by so many people? What is the
point?

Why did you or your Mr. Guinness not bother to contact the Owners Club? We
could have lent him a car to drive and photograph. Did he check out our
website www.delorean.co.uk or some of the American one's?

I thought the people who bought your magazine wanted "up lifting" stories
about some of these odd ball survivors from 20 odd years ago, not "Hatchet
jobs".

With my "Derby Plating Services Ltd" hat on ( advert on page 20 of your
Enfield Motoring Pageant), I have spent loads of money, over the years,
advertising in your magazine, thinking it was supportive of old cars and
their owners and admirers.

Unless We, the club, have a decent "Right of reply" with similar prominence
to the offending article, then I for one will stop buying and advertising in
your magazine.

Chris Parnham Hon Sec. DeLorean Owners Club UK,
Managing Director of Derby Plating Services Ltd since 1979.