Re: [doc] Can't stop driving my new Deloream :-D

Re: [doc] Can't stop driving my new Deloream :-D

Hi Rick (and others, I'm replying on-list because I feel the technical
info can be of benefit - otherwise I do indeed go off-list)

A really simple test is to watch the left front wheel and turn the
steering wheel. The ideal situation is that the steering wheel should
not move without moving the wheel AT ALL. Literally until the movement
on the steering wheel gets so small that you can't physically see the
movement on the wheel.

Removing fuel filler and brake cylinder access panels under the bonnet
allows you to get to the upper and lower joints respectively. Get
someone to wobble the steering wheel left to right *slightly* and put
your hand over each joint (this can get painful if your helper is too
enthusiastic - tell them the object is not to move the wheels!) this
should allow you to feel any play in the joints. Try the upper one
first, then the lower, and if there's no play in the joints, but still
in the steering, then the rack or track rod ends are at fault.

If the steering wheel wobbles up and down with a klunking noise, you
will see the upper joint moving up and down - this is the steering
column bushing (or lack of it). Replacing it requires removal of the
steering column and the book time is 2 hours. Swapping out the joints
takes next to no time if the column is out. We do racks, joints and
bushes without going stateside.

Best Wishes

Martin
DMUK