fan wire jumper (was Re: Fan Fail)

> I would also replace the fan fail relay. A bypass is better but the
> Fanzilla is best. The bypass wire won't operate the fan fail light and
> it will eventually burn up.

This one strikes close to home, since I've had two wire jumpers burn up on
me since I bought my car in April 2001. (see pictures in the Photos section
under "Burnt Fan Wire Jumper") The first one melted a little within a few
months of ownership, and the other one burned up big time in late September
when I returned from the River City Autofest in Evansville.

Am I to understand that this is common? If so, why are these jumpers
considered viable solutions to the original blue module? What causes this
problem of burning up, and why don't the fuses seem to be doing their job?
And, most importantly, is this really as simple to fix as buying a Fanzilla?
Or is there an underlying problem with my car that will still be there no
matter what is plugged into the socket?

Not sure where to start on this one, so any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd Masinelli
VIN 6681 (Nov '81)