Re: verifying a/c charge amount

There are 4 ways I know of to properly fill an A/C system using the
types of expansion valves used on cars. In order of precision they are
1) Filling by weight, only good on premanufactured systems like cars
and refigeraters and only after the system has been evacuated.
2) Using a sonic device to detect supercooled droplets in the suction
line.
3) Filling to the sight glass (If a sight glass is even on the
system).
4) The least precise and most widely used method, filling till the
compressor runs or at least to a suction pressure corresponding to
about 34 degrees F for the refrigerent being used. This can result in
overcharging depending on ambient conditions at the time of fill. This
also ASSUMES no air or blended refrigerents in the system. To properly
test the system you need the operating tables to know what the temps
are supposed to be across the evap coil and the cond coil depending on
the ambient temp. A general rule of thumb is a 20 degree drop over the
evap coil means the system is working as long as the compressor isn't
cycling too much.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757