Re: Remote-buying DeLoreans

List,

Dave Swingle mentioned several ways in which to protect yourself when
remote purchasing a Delorean (from ebay or any other for sale ad) and
these ways are a good start for a possible remote purchased vehicle.
In several cases, mostly including project cars, I have requested a
video tape "walk around" of the car(s) and associated parts included
with many project cars, also requesting certain angles and views.
In the case of "running" cars, I have requested a stationary shot of
cold start, drive arounds (listening for tell tale bad behavior) and
a stationary shot of a warm/hot start afterward. I have even shown
some of these tapes at our social events, to show others potential
projects that I am looking at and to see the types of things I look
for in my decision processes. A local club is always a good source.

I am by no means an "expert" when it comes to remote buying Deloreans
but I do have a comprehensive process that has served me well, with
very few surprises (so far, knock on wood). Since I still actively
search ebay for potential new projects, I will not post all of my
tactics, but if you need help acquiring information about a potential
remote purchase, feel free to contact me for additional tactics.

However, one of the best ways a novice or experienced Delorean owner
can get a sense of confidence in a remote purchase of a Delorean, when
you cannot go there yourself, is to contact a Delorean owner that is
close to the seller, via your local club, the DML, etc., to go and
inspect the vehicle for you. Have them take a list of questions and
a copy of the DMCH checklist (that they can send of fax to you later),
and maybe they can bring a disposable camera or video recorder, if
they have the time. Most Delorean owners do not mind going to look
at another Delorean if they have the time to do so. The Delorean
community is rather small, but is extremely helpful in most cases.

I know Dave Swingle has done the inspection process, as well as drive
new owners to pickup there cars and follow them with there first drive
in "their" Delorean. There is nothing more comfortable than having
a knowledgeable Delorean person follow you (with tools / spare parts)
when you take your newly acquired Delorean on its first voyage home.
An uneventful trip is sometimes the best kind of trip.

Keep the Dream Alive.

Later,
Rich W.