Re: [DML] hot start problem.

> What you did was clean out the varnish or build up in the slits in the
control plunger sleeve.

John & Mike,

I think that the fuel injector cleaner must have cleaned something that was
sticking the check valve on the fuel pump. I don't think that clogged slits
in the fuel distributor can cause a hot start problem, but I have heard that
a cracked diaphragm in it can.

> This may sound like a dumb question but what prevents the fuel pump from
> pressurizing the fuel lines with each start?

Jason,

The fuel pump does pressurize the system with each start, but that doesn't
matter if there are fuel vapor bubbles trapped in the system. The system is
designed to stay pressurized for at least as long as it takes the fuel to
cool down to a point that it will not boil at ambient temperature. If the
pressure drops while the fuel is still hot enough to boil then it will boil.
The resulting vapor bubbles are way too lean to run the car. Hence, the hot
start problem.

In the workshop manual, there is a graph that shows how long the fuel system
is supposed to maintain pressure.

Walt Tampa, FL