Re: brake runout specs

There are no published specs for the runout of the rotors. There is
also no published spec on parellelism. In general the runout should be
kept below .0025" and parelleism .0005". (Parden my speeling).
The only effect these specs have is on preventing pulsation of the
brake pedal. This is important not only for the improvement in feel of
the brake pedal but to prevent premature lock-up of the brakes in
partial application situations and cross control effects in steering.
To measure run-out it is best done on a brake lathe to remove the
measuring of the play in the wheel bearings. Parelleism or thickness
variation is easily done at several points around the rotor with a
micrometer. These specs have very little bearing on brake pad life. To
fix these variations rotors are cut on brake lathes. At this time most
Delorean venders don't recomend this. Causes for needing to cut rotors
are the following, wearing the pads out and the backing plate contacts
the rotors, excessive braking manuvers, unequal and or improper
torquing of the lug nuts, excessive rust. Although the rotors are
considered to be a wearable item, with proper care and inspections
they can last a very long time. Excessive runout will eventually cause
wear on the retaining pins that hold the calipers in. This should not
cause any damage to the calipers but it is not good to drive a car
with excessive brake pedal pulsation as it is very annoying. Any 1
rotor could cause this including the rears so measure them all and you
may only have 1 bad one. All of this is assuming there is only
steering wheel shake when you apply the brakes.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757