Clutch & Parking Brake

I have one of those super-stiff clutches being discussed. My
slave cylinder developed a leak while I was in San Fransisco,
and the mechanic ordered a new one from DMC Garden Grove.
That mechanic also thought I needed a new clutch because of
the stiffness, but I had a chat with my Boulder, Colorado
mechanic, Dana Haglin about it, and he said Delorean clutches
are stiff, and not to worry about it. So, I to the SF people I'd keep
the new clutch for when I needed it, but didn't ask them to put it in
then.

I have been a little concerned about the stiffness, since I'm sure
it's putting a heafty amount of pressure on the hydraulic system,
and replacing the slave is bitchy work if I do it myself, expensive if
I have someone else do it... Haglin has driven it since then, and
doesn't seem to think anything is unusual. So what's the story?
I have a brand new slave cylinder, but an old clutch, and it's stiff.
When I drive other cars, the clutch feels like butter. It seems to
engage perfectly, and there is no problem shifting.

Also, a parking brake question. I noticed it was feeling a little
"gritty" recently, and finally I was engaging it when there was a
little "pop" feeling, and it moved up much more freely, but to a
hyper-extended position. It still works, but to stop the car on a
hill, it has to be pulled up higher than the door will allow.
Everything seems ok by the calipers, and I suspect that
something has become detached in the hand unit. I gently pryed
a bit on the carpet covering the floor box, but couldn't find any
tabs or screws that were holding it down, and before I reefed on
it with a screwdriver, I thought I'd ask for some finess tips on how
to get that box open. :-) Thanks to everyone for a fine list.

Brent Beecher
00893
Seattle, WA