Re: Help changing a Fuel Accumulator

The fittings you refer to are NOT commonly available as they are
metric. Your best option since you need to order an accumulater anyway
is to discuss this with your favorite Delorean parts vender. On
another subject you should exercise more caution when working on the
fuel system. Besides the obvious danger from fire there are the long
term hazards from inhaling the fumes and absorbing the fuel through
the skin and eyes. Todays fuels with the additives in them are much
more dangerous then fuels of just a few years ago. There are many
reports of asthma and neorological problems to name just a few. Before
working on the fuel system it should be drained and purged. Always
keep a fire extinghuiser handy, use NITRILE gloves and eye protection
and work in a WELL ventilated place preferably with a helper who could
call 911 in an emergency like you are overcome by the fumes in your
"grease pit". By the nature of the pit it will fill with fumes and
displace the oxygen and besides causing dizzyness you could pass out.
Too many people have gotten hurt and destroyed their car while working
on the fuel systems. This is just a hobby to most of us so please take
all prudent precautions to stay safe. BTW the only way to gain access
to the accumulater is from underneath. NEVER twist or kink the fuel
lines, hold back with wrenches, or you will find yourself lifting the
body to replace the lines. There is almost no room to work but with
small hands and the right wrenches and PATIENCE it usually can be
done. I hope after all of this the accumulater was realy bad. This can
be confirmed by shaking it to see if small pieces of rubber come out
or by pressureizing a fuel port, blocking the other and seeing if the
pressure leaks out the return. The symptom of a bad accumulater is
hard or no restart when hot.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "dmczr1" <dmczr1@xxxx> wrote:
> I'm trying to replace the fuel accumulator on my '82. I thought it
would be
> easier going in from underneath (silly me) since my garage has a
grease pit.
> With all the spilled gas on me and the floor, the garage now smells
like a