Re: [DML] RE: 3.0 Eagle motor

Marc, I'd like to add a little to this 3.0 Eagle motor discussion:
You're right. It's alot of work to go through and not cost effective to do
an entire motor change, including electronics just for 20 HP. This is just
compounded if you have to pay someone to do it. HOWEVER If you are a
die-hard do-it-yourselfer, the swap can be rather appealing. You end up with
essentially a "bolt-in" (not a simple or easy bolt in, but a bolt in none the
less) conversion to a newer, readily available, higher compression, larger
displacement, single serpentine belted, electronically fuel injected motor.
Because of the conversion to electronic fuel injection, I'd rate this in the
moderate to high difficulty and not recommend it for the inexperienced, but
some of us just "gotta do it!" My goal is this: Get some more power out of
the D. Make it a little unique in the engine compartment. Make (keep) it
reliable. And make it something I can maintain. Not that I couldn't
maintain the D's Bosch K-Jetronic system, but I know far less about that than
I do modern EFI systems. If I kept the original motor, I'd have to learn
more about the K-Jet system which would only help me with the D. (And I'm
not planning on becoming a Volvo mechanic) With an EFI motor, what I learn
about EFI can more easily be gained from and applied to other more modern
cars. Also, I think the Eagle motor looks cool. it has a black cover over
the manifold that smoothes things out a bit. (It works with the rest of my
D) : )

Actually I'm just about finished the frame/suspension restoration of Project
Delorean and will be beginning the drivetrain next. I've already purchased
an Eagle Premier (which I drove home) as the "Heart Donor" and will begin
tearing into it soon. I don't have any Eagle motor or engine swap pictures
on the site yet, but I'll get some up soon so stay tuned.

Steve
VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")
www.angelfire.com/md2/projectdelorean