Evaporative Control System

When ever I increase the idle on the engine, the carbon canister
doesn't appear to purge itself of the recovered vapors. The odd part
about this is that if I manually apply a vaccum to the canister, the
engine will rev up as the vapors are released and burned. When I rev
the engine I can feel a good vaccum from the hose the connects up the
intake manifold. But it is not as strong as the one that I have to
apply to open the canister. From this I have 2 questions: 1. Is this
normal and theres a problem w/the vaccum line, or does having to
apply a STRONG vaccum to the canister an indication of it being
defective? Any ideas would be greatly appriciated!

-Robert
vin 6585

p.s. I really do need to remedy this as quickly as possible. After an
hour or two out in the heat, the gas tank begins to build up an
excessive amount of positive pressure. On Friday when I pulled into
my garage I had to remove my gas cap just relive all the pressure.
While doing so the tank acctually creaked as all the gas fumes rushed
out!