Re: [DML] Oil Filter

Tom,

I had the exact same problem with my oil filter. The new filter was just a
speck wider than the OEM filter, so the oil pressure sending unit was barely
in the way of it. Since the sending unit was faulty anyway, I took it off
and replaced it with a 1/4" brass water pipe plug. While at the hardware
store, I bought a short 1/4" pipe nipple and a 45 degree elbow. When I put
it all back together, my oil pressure sending unit will stick away from the
oil filter at an angle. Remember that since this pipe thread is also an
electrical connection for the return ground, I recommend NOT using any pipe
dope. Also, brass pipe is a better conductor for this ground as opposed to
galvanized pipe, and the softer threads allow you to point the sending unit
in a convent direction after it is snugged up.

I did an autopsy on the sending unit and found out why it died. Basically,
the sending unit uses a rheostat hooked to a lever arm/diaphragm
arrangement. The whole set up was so mickey mouse that it bent, jammed, and
fell apart. And it had less than 9000 miles on it! Upon experimentation, I
figured that the unit gives 1 ohm per PSI of oil pressure. So zero ohms
means zero PSI, and 80 ohms gives a full scale reading. The next time I
fool with it, I'll check it again to be sure. All I need is a new oil
pressure sending unit that yields 1 ohm per PSI. I'm sure something
American made would fit that description. I hate spending big bucks for a
Volvo part when something American would be the same thing at a cheaper
price. Has anyone else done the math?

As for how much oil you loose in the process? I'm not sure because when I
had mine apart, I had already drained the oil. I expect that you wouldn't
loose very much because the port for the sending unit is mounted relatively
high on the crank case. If I were you, I would keep what you got until you
are ready for another oil change. I know this sounds ridiculous, but since
the sending unit is only slightly in the way, you could probably get away
with bending it slightly toward the rear of the engine. Naaah, forget I
said that. The safe thing to do would be to buy only original OEM Delorean
filters, but I would rather pay less money for a better filter.

And if all else fails... if it jams, then force it. If it breaks, then it
needed replacing anyway.

Walt