Re: [DML] Non-starting problems, fuel pressure related?

Re: [DML] Non-starting problems, fuel pressure related?

First off, do you have any of the manuals for the DeLorean? Please
understand that I'm not saying this to make light of your expertise but,
even though the K-Jetronic fuel injection is relatively simple compared to
computerized new cars, you do need some understanding of how the system
works before you can begin to trouble shoot it. The round thing you refer to
is not the accumulator and has no bearing on fuel pressure. It's simply a
mechanical device that connects incoming air flow to a valve in the fuel
distributor. When air forces it down the valve opens in an amount
corresponding with the amount of air flow and sends fuel to the injectors.
If your accumulator is bad the engine won't retain residual fuel pressure
when shut down. It will need the fuel pump to build that pressure back. The
problem with that is if the engine doesn't start with-in a few seconds of
cranking, the RPM relay turns the pump off. This prevents flooding in an
engine that has all systems functioning. If you need to get the pressure
back up you should crank for 5 or 10 seconds, turn the key off, and then
crank again for 5 or 10 seconds, continuing this until pressure gets high
enough to start the engine. A really bad accumulator probably will never get
the fuel pressure high enough. Another trick is to unplug the blue
connection from the cold start valve and the grey connection from the
control pressure regulator. Plug the grey plug onto the cold start valve.
This will cause the cold start valve to open and allow some fuel into the
engine even with low pressure. You must unplug this as soon as the engine
starts or you will flood it. If this last trick starts your warm engine when
normal starting procedure fails, you either have a bad accumulator or a bad
check valve in the fuel pump.

Bruce Benson