[DML] Re: Over revving Auto.

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, David Sontos wrote:

> Your transmission computer is shot. Contact PJ Grady for a new one.
> (Around $450 I think)

That's what I thought at first too. But aren't the transmission computer
failures usually caused by prolonged hot running and general stress?
This car has 900 miles. In addition, the poster said that the car is
obviously going through all three gears. I think the governor computers
usually cause the tranmission to *really* stick in second gear, not just
"feel" like second gear.

I'm thinking it could be some sort of torque converter problem. That's
what causes the input shaft in an auto trans to actually turn the gears.
Pictures of automatic transmissions give me headaches, but the first step
is change the fluid. Second step is call somebody that can diagnose such
a problem, because it's not me. :}

There is a simple test procedure in the archives to determine whether your
transmission computer is working or not. It involves a little circuit
with diodes and light bulbs, IIRC. I don't know the test procedure myself
or I'd post it...