[DML] Re: Air conditioning Charge

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Jesse D. Sightler wrote:

> As to whether or not this conversion would work effectively on a
> Delorean, I really don't know. :-) Perhaps someone else could shed
> some light on the issue?

It's been done, but it's a bad idea. Conversion of A/C systems to other
refrigerants is primarily useful for transferring money into the pockets
of the A/C technicians. At best it will work the same, but most likely it
will get worse.

It is possible to convert the DeLorean system (which is an off the shelf
GM air conditioner) to R134, but you will wind up with a higher failure
rate of components (due to the high pressure) and probably a less
effective air conditioner.

An R-12 air conditioner in good condition will not harm the ozone layer.
R-12 can only harm the ozone layer if it can get out of the air
conditioner, and it can't if it doesn't leak. There is no need to lose
freon into the atmosphere when charging or servicing the unit, either.
Good air conditioning technicians should have equipment capable of
recovering all the freon from the system. In addition, it is legal to
use, buy, and sell R-12 refrigerant. Many A/C technicians will mislead
you on this point, or try to convince you that R-12 is in some way
unavailable. That is simply false.