[DML] Re: OLD COOLANT

I can't speak for old coolant in a DeLorean, but I recently had problems with
my '91 Mercury Cougar due to old coolant. According to the dealer,
anti-freeze becomes acidic with age. That is the reason Ford suggests
flushing the system and replacing the coolant every 30000 miles. I left mine
in for some 60000 miles before changing it. Since then I've put another
30000 miles on the car. Well, the old coolant had acidified and created a
weak spot in the head gasket at the number 4 cylinder. I've never had this
problem with my DeLorean, but since most anti-freeze is the same, I figure
it's better safe than sorry. I had the coolant system in my D flushed a few
months after I bought it. I don't feel like having to put head gaskets in it
when $20 worth of anti-freeze would save me this expense.

Should you change the anti-freeze in a DeLorean every year as someone
suggested earlier? This seems to be a bit too often to me.

Brian
VIN 1597

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/dmcnews