[DML] Re: Painting a DeLorean

For the most part, I agree with not painting and modifying a rare vehicle
like the Delorean, but there are other factors to be considered. Since the
production life of the D was so short, everyone recognized the collectability
early and relativey few were customized. We therefore were denied the
experience of seeing the true potential of the car at the hands of creative
and talented enthusiasts. Also I believe that the fact that the cars showed
no individuality (no options to really set their D apart from others),
something preferred by Americans in their automobiles, was a significant
factor in the low sales numbers. (Wasn't there a fender or something found
in the Delorean factory where they were testing paints? Hmmm. Sounds like
they knew it too.) I am in no way saying that everyone should run out and
paint their Delorean. If you're among the lucky ones to have a perfect body,
then count yourself lucky, take care of your car and preserve the history.
But for those who have purchased previously painted ones, or have some body
damage and dont want to or can't afford to replace the panels, go ahead and
express yourself! The guys with the perfect cars pretty much have their
hands tied, but you have a clean slate! In my opinion, the Delorean has a
tremendous amount of character on which to build. Be wild or be mild, but
please be tasteful. ( I think we've all seen at least one good example of
what happens when you strap everything from K-Mart's automotive department
onto a Delorean and it wasn't pretty.) So keep up the customizations and
modernizations!

Purist or Painter? There's room for us both!

And to the guy who started the painted Delorean site: Keep it up! I'll send
you photos when mine's ready!

(The D I'm building should hit the road next summer and it will be both
customized and modernized...tastefully.)

Steve
VIN 2650

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/dmcnews