RE: [DMCForum] Rich A -- How about this for an electric car?

RE: [DMCForum] Rich A -- How about this for an electric car?

On alternative fuels, I know storage technology is the hold-up... but
why not generate the juice you need while you go?

>From what I understand, internal combustion engines are at most only 10%
efficient.

Boilers can reach 95% efficiency and up.  The Lear Vapordyne race car in
the 60's used a steam turbine (gasoline fueling a recirculating turbine
using Freon), and the technology is even better now.

Why not use the steam turbine to generate the electricity you need on
the road, while having a smaller array of batteries to handle the "cold
start" of a steam turbine, as well as store energy created by
regenerative braking.  Then there is no mileage limit like on a pure
electric.

It sounds overly complex, but this isn't much different than the tens of
thousands of diesel-electric trains that have been successfully and
efficiently used for years now.