Re: [DMCForum] Re: Too many hobbies; is it just me?

On 8/3/05, Lauren <LPLand@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> O ya!!!  The "unfinished symphony" of my house is a hobby.  Granted,
> I will increase its value and I love doing the work because I'm
> basically an artist.    I just finished one project today - refinishing a
> ceiling.  When I started it I was energized.  By the middle, two days
> into it,  I realized that my neck hurt and it was getting tedious.
> When I got to the last 2 sections today I thought of your question
> and thought "Hell ya!"   This is no longer fun - every inch of my body
> hurts now, I'm tired of paint dripping in my face and hanging off the
> ladder.  Only knowing that I could see the end in sight kept me
> going.

Right! Thankfully, a lot of these little "hobbies" are really
"projects" rather than long term things. Like your ceiling; once
you're done, you're done. The problem is, even the projects just come
one after another.

Truth be told, I have more fun with my mini-projects than my hobbies.
The projects are usually quick, hairbrained ideas that I throw
together. But then, they keep me from having time for my hobbies. It's
an endless cycle.

I decided a couple of years ago I was going to start making my own
furniture. We had a new baby on the way and he was going to need his
own bedroom - which meant my computer room was getting relocated to
the family room. I wanted a custom desk; an 8' x 8' corner unit, but
with full top to floor backs so I could stretch it into the middle of
the floor and not have wires, etc, hanging out. Of course, it's
impossible to buy just want you want, so I had to build it. Ended up
with a real work of art; everyone raves over it. 'course, it cost me
several weeks of my time and in excess of $1000 to do.

Of course, I had to build an A/V stand first, to practice my
woodworking. Then I had to build a printer stand. Then a huge, solid
oak pan rack to hang above the kitchen. I put a triple set of 20w
halogen lights into that one. Then I needed a new A/V rack so I spent
another month designing & building a huge, several hundred pound thing
of beauty. Now I want to build a custom bed, but that's going to wait
until I (a) finish the hovercraft, (b) buy some property, and (c)
build a shop big enough for such a large project. My little 2 car
garage with the DeLorean on one side just won't do it.

> I try to keep the hobbies down to a reasonable level  because I
> know I only have so much time money and energy.  Which is why I
> don't want to make a hobby out of my D.  I just want to drive it.   If I
> weren't already married and one of you wanted to make a hobby of it
> - I'd hook up with you in a heartbeat ;)

I have a problem with cars; they consume my life. Especially this one.
I'm determined to keep it in show quality (not 'concours'), with
upgraded systems, and still drive it daily. So any time something goes
wrong I'm looking for a replacement that's better than stock which of
course takes more time, etc.

-Ryan

De lorean Delorean part Delorean cadillac

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS