[DMCForum] Catalytic Converter Thread From DML (Marc)

[DMCForum] Catalytic Converter Thread From DML (Marc)

I doubt the moderator will let a reply through over there, so I'll
post it here:

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Marc Levy <malevy_nj@xxxx> wrote:
> --- "content22207" wrote:
> <SNIP>
> >   so pre-converter cars are not tested. Same with
> seat belts BTW.
>
> The DeLorean is not in this category.

I mentioned the seat belts for historicity only. Apologies for the
education.

> > If you're so concerned about emissions devices, why
> are you not
> > promoting EGR and air injection retrofits on
> DeLoreans. They were
> > standard issue on F Series Volvos and surely would
> reduce our
> > emissions even more.
>
> You are comparing adding emission devices to a car to
> removing them?
>
> If you don't see why they are different, I am not sure
> I can explain.

I was asking why *GUS* wasn't advocating adding them. Of course I
don't want them.

> > The mere presence of catalytic converters does not
> account for:
> > - Improper tuning
> > - Excessive engine wear
> > - Harmful driving habits
> > Perhaps those should be legislated as well?
>
> They are!  The emissions testing will catch improper
> tuning or engine wear.  Harmful driving habits are
> legislated by speed restrictions..

Tuning and wear aren't caught if your vehicle isn't subjected to
emissions testing.

By "harmful driving habits" I meant "American dependence on automobile
transportation and the kinds of trips taken therein". Gues I wasn't
clear (Martin Alert! Martin Alert!).

> > Europeans have managed to avoid our EPA regulations
> by discouraging
> > excessive automobile use and providing practical
> transportation
>
> <SNIP>
>
> Some Americans also preach "no replacement for
> displacement", and drive their monster trucks to do
> daily errands.

F150's hardly qualify as "monster trucks". For true power, such as
towing, there indeed is "no replacement for displacement" (surely you
are not advocating the abolition of towing). My "daily" errands
actually occur about 3 times per week -- I live alone. Total travel
encompasses a couple of miles -- I live in a small town. I also hit
all 3 grocery stores in one circular trip -- I'm a slave to the sale
papers.

> Funny how when the discussion of American engineering
> VS European engineering (Or, Torque VS Horse power)
> you favor the American philosophy.  Now, for emission
> regulations you favor Europe??

No, I advocate transportation alternatives, such as *REALISTIC* buses
and railroads. These are indeed prevalent in the northeast corridor,
but elsewhere in the country they are a joke. North Carolina has not
one single mass transit system (commuter railroad, subway, light rail,
etc). Some of the bigger cities have nearly viable bus systems, but
there's absolutely nothing in the provinces. My closest bus system is
Fayetteville, which only operates a couple of routes downtown from
9:00-18:00 -- not realistic.

> > I know it's not politically vogue to look admiringly
> across the
> > Atlantic these days, but the Europeans could teach
> us Americans a
> > thing or two -- without catalytic converters on our
> cars!
>
> Yes, they can also teach us about using smaller
> engines with forced induction and adaptive electronic
> engine control systems...  Or do you just want
> everyone else to walk more while you drive your
> gas-guzzler carburated Lincolns to the grocery store?

You'll be happy to know the Lincolns are moth-balled until I am again
employed (to save insurance costs). And when they are re-activated, I
will still consume less fuel than a Prius owner driving 60 plus miles
each way to work in urban squalor!

> I am no so noble as to always do what is "right" as
> far as automotive emissions, but it is irresponsible
> to advocate a DeLorean owner to make modifications
> such that they will pollute more.

Re-read the original message -- I never advocated modifying anything.
I did mention it as an option (it *IS* an option, is it not?). In
fact, I specifically stated that "Catalytic converters are available
for [DMCH and DMCUK exhaust systems]". No credit for saying something
"right", eh?

Ask Martin to pass you the Chapstick when he's finished and get in
line behind him...

Bill Robertson