Re: [DMCForum] Re: TFT Dashboard

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Josh Porter wrote:

> I know for a fact that I am going to sound ignorant but what does TFT
> stand for? The word screen got my attention.

Thin Film Transistor.  It's a LCD technology which allows the necessary
transistor for each pixel to be fabricated into the sheet of liquid
crystals, which provides very fast screen response time.  It's the
technology used on virtually all LCD screens today.  TFT is also known as
"active matrix".

The old system, which was colloquially referred to as "passive matrix" had
either a single transistor per line of the display or (in very cheap
displays) a single transistor for the entire display, because the
technology didn't yet exist to manufacture the transistor right into the
pixel.  The resulting necessity to multiplex a much smaller number of
transistors across a very large number of pixels made the screens much
slower to respond, which is why those old passive matrix screens look so
crappy.

-andrew

click here