Re: [DMCForum] boxed lower control arms (John Hervey?)

Re: [DMCForum] boxed lower control arms (John Hervey?)

John,

I'm not sure that John Hervey pays attention to this list.
So I'll say what I know about the control arms.  I THINK he
quit selling them because his liability insurance wouldn't
cover it.  These were made by Byrne Henninger and were on
display at a SEDOC show in Georgia.  Most of the
construction was out of flat plates that were welded
together.  Other parts were machined on a lathe as
necessary.  They are probably over-engineered and too heavy
for what they are.  Let me know if you want Byrne's e-mail,
and I can forward it to you.  But like with the crumple
tube, it sounds like you don't want to pay shipping from the
US.

Steve Wynne told me that boxing in the control arms makes a
noticeable improvement in handling.  Along with leaving room
for the lower ball joint, you also have to leave a big hole
to pass the shock absorber thru.  The weakest spot on these
is toward the ball joint.  So if you reinforce elsewhere, it
makes me wonder if doing so could put even more stress in
the weakest area.  I wouldn't box one in without also
finding a way to strengthen the "unboxable" areas.

As I remember, PDC was selling their stainless version of
the lower control arms for cheaper than what Byrne's design
was selling for.  And they are lighter AND stainless steel.
The only problems I know about are that the control arm to
frame bushing can shift if it isn't tack welded in.  My
choice would be to weld a little plate on the side to hold a
set-screw on the bushing.  Also the areas that hold the sway
bar bushings are squared-off instead of radiused like OEM.
My opinion is that it is likely to wear the bushings faster.
Maybe a radius can be made out of JB-Weld. :-)  I love the
stuff.  Actually, lathe-turning a little adaptor ring out of
brass might be best.

Walt

click here