[DMCForum] Re: throw-out bearing replacement

[DMCForum] Re: throw-out bearing replacement

Just finished Day 1 of removing that transmission.  Spent
first several hours shopping for a transmission jack.  Ended
up buying one at Harbor Freight for $130.  PepBoys sold an
identical one for $200.  (I round off prices since I dont
buy into that .99 crap.)

I recycled a hydraulic fitting from an abused tranny to make
a plug for the clutch line.  Got all the linkage removed
while Jim repacked at a half axle.  We had a hell of a time
jacking the car up high enough, and we still need to raise
it higher.  If I lifted either end of the car too high then
that would make the other end of the car too low to get my
floor jack under.  The tranny jack needs 8" to clear, and
the tranny needs about 16"+.   We should have had it out in
a few hours but spent too much time goofing off.  Tomorrow
(oops, it's already tomorrow; I'm up too late) we should
have the thing out of there.

Oh Mishap, err sorry I mean Misha, I'm rather em-Bearss-ed
about Harbor Freight.  They aren't on Bearss Avenue like I
said before.  They are on Fletcher Avenue.  I dont think
they sell copper crush washer kits there.  That must only be
a catalogue item.  They do have plenty of cheap import crap,
tho.  If you go there, dont bring any money.  Andrei is
right; it is the guy version of taking a woman in a discount
fabric store.

Walt

click here