[DMCForum] Re: My apologies

No, he hasn't stopped it, just greatly hindered it.  Private money
just isn't there.

"Stem cells not drawing cash

By Matt Krantz, USA TODAY

Curing age-old diseases, including cancer, might get stem-cell
researchers and even politicians excited. But investors so far see
stem-cell companies as nothing more than money-burning firms and are
treating them like the plague."

This is one of those areas where government handouts really are
needed.  Cutting edge science is usually too expensive and risky for
private industry to fund.  Look at most if not all the digital and
semiconductor technologies we have today.  None of it would exist if
it were left to be developed by private funds.  It all came out of
government spending to put men on the moon and fight wars.  Once
developed, then it becomes cheap and private industry takes over.

Much of the research in this area is too expensive for companies to
fund themselves.  Also, much of the research isn't done by companies
at all but rather Universities. Without the funding, the research
just won't happen.  Companies will shift focus to those things that
will get them funding and Universities will scale back research or
do the same.  What will likely happen though is countries without
these restrictions will take the lead.  This will just be another
case of jobs and technology leaving our country.

I can't wait to get my Delorean so I can start having car problems
and get off these political topics.  Of course me getting a Delorean
is directly tied to the stock market.  This is another reason to get
rid of Bush.  He's keeping me from my Delorean!!

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Andrei Cular <andreic@xxxx> wrote:
> Stem cell research was not stooped! The only thing Bush did was
place
> restrictions on how the cells can be collected by a research
facility
> that is receiving federal funding.  The only research the Bush
> administration has compleatly halted, that I know of, are the high
> security classified projects by the Dept. of Energy.  So if we
don't see
> cold fusion within the next 6 months you can thank Bush and the
absent
> minded scientists at Los Alamos...
>

> Andrei
>

> Mike wrote:
>
> >Don't forget the 4 more years my wife will have to endure the
> >sometimes crippling pain of R.A. since stem cell research show a
lot
> >of promise in this area.

click here