[DMCForum] polarization

Marc Levy wrote:
> There is one thing that you will have trouble
> disputing, that is the country is now more divided
> than it has been since the civil war...  Under good
> leadership, there would not be such a polarization of
> the sides.

I disagree with your reasoning. I think it's the fault of the people for
not doing their own thinking. Most people would think there's something
wrong with the fact that an independent commission finds no link between
A and B, but the president and vice-president insist that there is such.
But most people believe the guy who talks the most and shouts the
loudest. If you say something often enough, people will begin to believe
it's true.

Moreover, most people don't bother to read anything more substantial
than USA Today or watch cable news. They get all excited when the big
hurrah arrives and it's all over TV that terrorism is down, and then
they most likely never hear the correction a week later that says that
terrorism actually went up, because it's not on page one or at the top
of the hour newscast.

What -is- out there is the lovely message which basically boils down to
"Be afraid. Everything's OK. Be very afraid. Everything's getting
better. Quiet, please." This, of course, works when you're dealing with
the plebian masses which are the majority of this country. Fear is the
oldest tool of power in the book. If you can keep the people in fear of
those around them, they fail to see the actions of those above. Most of
the American people like their thinking done for them -- that way they
have more time to watch TV. Until people start doing their own thinking
and demand some real change from their leadership, we're going to have
bad leadership, Democrat or Republican or Gooseneck Lamp Party. It's all
the same: Garbage in, garbage out.

Anyway, none of this will be sorted out in our lifetime, so why bother
arguing about it?

Damn, I sound pessimistic. LOL

--Farrar