Re: [DMCForum] Re: Will tile for mechanics (Lauren)

Re: [DMCForum] Re: Will tile for mechanics (Lauren)

> Do not use mastic with that "liquid latex" additive on plywood. Does
> not last more than 10 years max.

I always forget about the moisture issues that you Easterners have.
Here - things mummify rather than  decay.  I've used mastic on wood
here, but since there's no moisture getting underneath, it lasts. And
mostly, I do vertical work - walls, window/door trim, skylights, and a
mosaic on a piece of furniture that is my Sistine Chapel.  I like the
suction I get with mastic on textured surfaces.   Anyway, once you
grout the tile, it doesn't move at all.  At least not here.

> Dropping car parts from the
> kitchen counter is very hazardous to tile health).

HAHA, it would be.  And not good for the car parts either.  I like soft
floors for that reason and have always carpeted tham - even the
kitchen.

> I do like that additive in the grout, however, especially for big 1/4"
> spaces. Just be sure to clean the tile surface completely within the
> first 12 hours. Otherwise is miserable to scrape off (doesn't powder
> up like plain grout but comes up in sheets like latex paint).

For the work I do, I use sanded grout.

> How do you feel about oak parquet tiles? That's my flooring of choice.

Pretty, but not my style.  My taste is much more SouthWestern.
Saltillo for floors, colorful Talavera for other surfaces.  And soon I'm
about to embark on using some 55-year-old bricks for a floor surface
in a new space that I'm adding on (oh that work-in-progress).  I know
- I said I like soft floors, but now I'm thinking brick/tile and lots of
rugs.  Much easier to keep clean.

missing 10440
unfinished house
regained DSL connection