[DMCForum] Trapped in "Bearing Hell"

I spent 12 lovely hours at the Cohee Estate yesterday trying to
replace my right rear wheel bearing.

Here's what happened:

I had everything completely dismantled in one hour EXCEPT that we
were unable to remove the lower link arm bolt. It had rusted to the
collar of the link arm bushing.

We spent the remaining 11 HOURS trying to remove the bolt (PB
Blaster, 260 ft/lb air-impact gun, air-chisel and finally a SAWS-ALL)
cutting the bolt away ($40), running to Pep Boys to have the old
bearing pressed out and the new one ($47) pressed in ($65) and then
attempting to drill out the link arm bushing.

I am publicly, and officially reporting that my ass has been
thoroughly kicked and I'm asking if anyone can lend me a postage
stamp so I can write a letter to my mommy: "Dear Mommy, today I had
my ass kicked by a rusted bolt".

I am going to cut the other bolt securing the arm to the frame, and
order a used link arm and bolts ($50) from DPNW because I am tired of
chewing up drill bits in 30 seconds.

The only gratification I've had during this whole process is noting
that the old bearing was trash and pratically disinigrated during
removal. I assuredly would not have made it to Florida for
the 'Fridge Run. My car is safely stranded in Mike's garage instead
of being wrecked on I-95.

Rich A.

click here