[DMCForum] Re: PRV Education For Walt Coe

[DMCForum] Re: PRV Education For Walt Coe

Oh dear, I see it's time to learn you a thing or two about PRV's:

All PRV's come from one factory in Douvrin France. Even Volvo's
significantly redesigned B280 was made there (which should put an end
to myth that Volvo didn't like the PRV and wanted as little to do with
it as possible. That's just an American prejudice). B280 of course
migrated here in Eagle Premier, via Chrylser's purchase of American
Motors Corporation *AS AN INTACT AND OPERATING COMPANY* (majority
owned by Renault).

I tell you this so you don't get strung out when I start talking about
B27's and B28's, knowing that the block in my DeLo is a Renault Z7V
(or an "R30" as Martin calls it, though "R30" is really a vehicle
designation like Volvo "260"). All blocks in B27/B28 family are
internally identical, only difference being bigger cylinders & pistons
of B28. Will bring Volvo factory literature on Fridge Run to show you
that in print (should put an end to myth of redesigned *BLOCK* oil
passages in B28 too). Differences are in heads and bolt on accessories.

My engine is identical to a B27E (yes Martin, I know the distributor
is different).

Volvo used two different PRV series from Douvrin:

E Series
- European market
- 9.5:1 compression
- Slightly more aggressive camshaft lobes
- 145 HP (B27E), 155 HP (B28E)

F Series
- North American market
- 8.2:1 compression
- slightly milder cam
- 125 HP (B27F), 130 HP (B28F)

Is also an A series, which is a carbureted version used I know not
where...

As I said, difference is in the heads (Volvo factory literature
explicitly states that same pistons, crank, and connecting rods used
in E and F series). Difference must be flat top cylinder vs domed
because deck height same too. Of course camshafts slightly different.

Now, regarding B27/B28 accessories (like the "manual choke" that has
you strung out):

Every single B27 used idle speed circuit built into upper air assembly
("brass manifold screws"). I repeat, no B27's (and not all B28's, like
the spare engine in back of my truck) had CIS. That's why I shake my
head when people chastise me for running my DeLo without it -- THE
ENGINE WASN'T BUILT FOR IT. I have no place to attach a throttle plate
microswitch. I have none of the sensors in coolant distribution pipe.
The barb under my fuel distributor (which is pressed in thank you very
much -- no vacuum leaks) is made for...

Drum Roll...

An auxiliary are valve! That's the "manual choke" that has you tied in
knots. Every B27 has one. Quite a few B28's have one. Of course mine
is a BMW model -- solenoid vs valve -- which is why I control from
switch under dash vs sensor in coolant pipe. But I actually prefer it
over stock Volvo because their's is a humongous affair bolted in same
place as idle speed motor, TOTALLY obscuring cylinder #4.

And not to break even more bad news, but an auxiliary air valve is
actually closer in function to fast idle cam on a carburetor, not
choke plate. Closest thing to choke plate on PRV is warm up regulator,
though even it doesn't restrict air flow so analogy breaks down.

Long story short: I am running a virtually stock B27E (yes Martin,
different ditributor). This is very much what JZD would have ended up
with had DeLorean been designed for European market rather than US.

NOW, onto vacuuming A/C with manifold vacuum:

How many times have I told you: I have no stand alone vacuum pump. How
else do you suggest I vacuum A/C before charging? Accessing a vacuum
source just sitting under same hood waiting to be used strikes me as
brilliant. Puts A/C work within reach of *ANY* owner with a properly
running engine. No special tools other than R134 charging hose and a
brass adapter. And it works excellent. Every summer these groups are
full of people moaning and bewailing inability to find a shop to work
on their A/C. Again I shake my head -- DO IT YOURSELF IN THE COMFORT
OF YOUR OWN DRIVEWAY!

Tell you what -- when we come to Florida I'll throw away my current
freon charge and show you from scratch how well it works.

To be honest, I don't know why you aren't strung out over flushing
system with A/C compressor itself. That's strikes me as more
controversial (for the benefit of late comers, I do not flush THROUGH
the compressor. Flushing fluid is poured into high side. Low side left
loose. Compressor sucks air through open low port, fluid comes out
loose hose). Puts A/C flushing within reach of anyone lacking an air
compressor, as I do.

What else? Oh yeah, heavy gravity. Will post a reply to Jim next. Re:
acquaintance (not really a "friend") who wins races -- with all due
respects, I've met quite a few DeLo owners who, while wonderfully nice
people, don't impress me as circle track material. I could be wrong.

Whatever I've missed will be picked up in next reply...

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> Bill sayeth:
> > PRV produces 17 plus inches -- more than enough to advance
> a rotor button.
>
> Or pull a hard vacuum on an a/c system, right Bill?
>
> Walt
>
> p.s. don't try this at home.
>
> p.p.s. Martin, don't try to convince Bill of anything.  It's
> like arguing with gravity on a heavy day.
>
> and again Bill sayeth:
> > Has trophies all over office, so I trust his word.
>
> p.p.p.s. Now THIS one is going in my list of Bill quotes!
> Remind me to display a bunch of kitsch trophies when Bill
> comes over.
>
> and still yet again Bill sayeth:
> > I've been preaching the Gospel of jetisoning all the crap
> Volvo bolted onto F series engine, while leaving remainder
> of block untouched, to
> deaf ears.
>
> p.p.p.p.s. That's because it can't be done unless you have
> access to the parts across the pond that Martin does.  Maybe
> we can find a poor sucker at Pigeon Forge who will let you
> remove all that crap from his car.  Then see if you can make
> it run afterwards.  No manual choke allowed!  (For those of
> you who don't know, Bill's DeLorean has a manual choke.)
> {man that's heavy} Enough fighting gravity for now.  G'nite.
>
> Walt

  _____

Yahoo! Groups Links

*	To visit your group on the web, go to:

*	To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: