[DMCForum] oil filter cross-references

Just because a filter will screw onto the DeLorean block,
that doesn't mean it is appropriate.  And there are a lot
that will fit.  Here are the filters I know about which have
been mentioned in cross-reference lists or somewhere on the
internet before.  I put comments after the ones I have used
or have more info on.  Feel free to add your own comments
and post them back to the DMCForum.org  Someday someone will
figure out how make this easy to find on the web site.

Summary of known issues:

Many filters that work are too wide to clear the oil
pressure sender.  Many people put the sender on an elbow to
get it out of the way.  OEM senders are junk.  New senders
are often even wider still and need an elbow to clear any
filter.

Some filters are rumored to have built in check valves
and/or bypass valves.  Check valves help keep oil from
draining through filter back into pan.  Bypass valves are
protection against clogged filter elements due to dummies
not changing their oil.  If you are not a dummy then you
probably don't need a bypass valve.  The filters listed
below may or may not have these valves.  Or the bypass valve
may be made for the wrong pressure for the DeLorean's
application.

If you find DeLorean in the list of filters sold by your
local autoparts store, it may be wrong.  Your safest bet is
to play dumb and buy a known good filter from your favorite
DeLorean specific vendor when you are buying other parts
that you will need from them anyway.

AC Delco
PF-13 fits but is too wide for stock oil sender
UPF-13 same as PF-13 only "Ultraguard Gold"
PF-56 said to have proper bypass valve

Bosch
5401
72150 is no longer made

Champion
PH-228

Crossland (another name for Purflux)
sold by Martin Gutkowski d/b/a DMUK

Fram -- has reputation for collapsing filter elements and
housings that fall apart.
PH2870A
DG2870A
PH16
3600 said to have proper bypass valve

Harddriver
HD07

Lee
LF400 said to have proper bypass valve
LF 2861 do not use, bypass pressure too high

MANN
W 719/5 correct skinny size to clear stock oil sender.
Longer than most filters, so maybe it does more filtering.
Sold by John Hervey d/b/a some really generic sounding auto
parts store.

Motorcraft
FL400A said to have proper bypass valve

NAPA 1348, 1084 1307 & 1342
-- WTF? which one?  Have two votes for 1307.

Peugeot 1109.45

Purflux LS410A, LS410B & LS410C
-- sold by many DeLorean specific vendors.  Is correct
skinny size to clear oil sender.

Purolator
L14670
PL14670 model up from L14670, found in reference book at
parts store. Hasn't destroyed my engine yet.
FC109-1
PC134
PER 17
PER1
L20195
L10018 recommended by Purolator for DeLorean yet is too wide
to clear sender.
L20064 do not use , no bypass valve
L20195 said to have proper bypass valve

Renault AW 261-2

Wix 51364, 51516 & 15
  -- Okay, what's the difference?

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12civ7ibm/M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egro
upweb/S=1705126215:HM/EXP=1071282419/A=1853618/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com
/Default?mqso=60178338&partid=4116730> click here

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1853618/rand=693870972>