  From: content22207 [mailto:brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
  Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 8:39 AM
  To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Subject: [DMCForum] Re: Installing Ball Joints -- Old Mechanic's Trick

  Old mechanic's trick: put ball joints in freezer overnight. Some
  people claim they'll shrink enough that press isn't necessary. Don't
  know about that...

  Helps if you turn press with longest possible handle/cheater (get
  someone to hold while you turn).

  Problem I ran into with Lincoln -- press didn't have big enough
  receiver. No joke: are about 4 inches in diameter! Borrowed world's
  largest socket from diesel shop to use as receiver.

  Don't forget that spring will need to be removed or compressed
  (Autozone also rents internal spring compressor and external McPherson
  strut style compressor).

  Bill Robertson

  >--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand@xxxx>
  wrote:
  > Ball joint press... yeah, that would work as well.  I have one of
those,
  > too, but forgot about it.  Normally, I change the bushings when I
change
  > ball joints, so I just do it on a press.
  >
  > A ball joint press kinda looks like a big C-clamp with adapters to fit
  > around the joint.  On installing the new one, it needs to go in very
  snug.
  > If it's loose, Grady's sells a shim pair that will tighten up the fit.
  >
  > -Dave

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cgvnc3c/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egro
upweb/S=1705126215:HM/EXP=1069366335/A=1524963/R=0/*http://hits.411web.com
/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=556&lineid=3614674?=egroupweb&pos=HM>

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=579693443>