[DMCForum] Re: PRV EGR

PRV EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) usually through port where U pipes
join throttle plate assembly (capped off on DeLo). Diaphragm mounted
to valve cover where our A/C compressors sit.

EGR is insidious. Ever seen exhaust port on higher mileage engine? And
to think it was breathing that crap!

Where a lot of people screw up is simply disconnecting vacuum line to
diaphragm. That leaves EGR permanently ENGAGED (vacuum CLOSES
diaphragm). Two ways I've properly disabled:
- Replace gasket between diaphragm and mount with a solid block off
plate. Needs to be vacuum tight! I've blocked off successfully with
cardboard isolated by several layers of aluminum foil. Only problem is
diaphragm remains painfully visible.
- Replace EGR spacer with regular carburetor spacer (on cars so
equipped). Sometimes carb spacer will cover exhaust port, acting as a
block off plate. Ford 460 has exhaust port off to one side -- simply
tap & plug with 1/2" NPT. This is more elegant solution.

BTW: A neat trick on spread bore carburetors is to use square bore to
spread bore adapter turned upside down (so plates can still open). If
you're feeling particularly industrious can file away square bore side
of adapter to make a true non-EGR spread bore spacer, but I've got two
Lincolns running with that funny lip overlapping manifold no problem.

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> > -No CIS (factory aux air valve instead).
>
> Bill, CIS stands for Continuous Injection System (translated
> from German.)  If this engine has something other than CIS,
> then what is it?  Aux air valve doesn't put fuel in engine.
> CIS does.  No CIS = no fuel?
>
> > -Set up for vapor canister
>
> I think any US legal car has a vapor canister since the mid
> 1970's on.
>
> > -No EGR to U pipes
>
> Is EGR for Exhaust Gas Recycling?  I have never seen that on
> a B27 or B28.  EGR valves always seemed to be a problem on
> GM cars.  Damn diaphrams would crack too often and cause
> spark rattle.
>
> Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c1dq654/M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egro
upweb/S=1705126215:HM/EXP=1069217584/A=1853618/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com
/Default?mqso=60178338&partid=4116730> click here

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1853618/rand=119212779>