Re: [DMCForum] Cooling system related howto

Re: [DMCForum] Cooling system related howto

Jordan, for a thorough flush I think it is a good idea to
remove the drain plugs on the block.  They use copper crush
washers, so it isn't so much of a steel vs. aluminum
corrosion issue.

Before using anti-freeze, I believe in filling the system
with distilled water, running the engine and checking for
any leaks.  Now given that the system is already full of
water, to get a 50% mixture of anti-freeze in there you have
to drain some water.  Knowing that the system volume is 3
gallons(?) you crack the bleed screw (or take auto bleeder
hose loose) and slowly pour in 1.5 gallons of anti-freeze.
As you do this, the same amount of water will drain.  The
header bottle & bleed screw are far enough apart that you
won't drain any anti-freeze.

>From what I have read of your how-to's so far, I offer a
little constructive criticism.  Your procedures are too
detailed.  I suppose that might be great for a total
beginner who has never worked on a car before.  But I would
like them better if they were written more like a factory
service manual.  This means write for a target audience of
technically minded young men and not 80 year old
grandmothers.

For example, the first time I ever took an air filter
assembly loose, everything was just obviously obvious.
Anyone who would benefit from a how-to on this probably
shouldn't be working on cars.  I suggest just giving a few
pointers such as the size socket you will need, a photo of
how the hose unsnaps, etc.  Explain the basic variations
(there aren't many) and explain some of the ways people have
modfied it such as Casey Putch's SS assembly and Ron
Wester's K&N mounted in the pontoon.  You might warn against
replacing the bolts with SS.  Those tend to corrode & sieze
easily in aluminum.  There are at least two different ways
the factory put the sticker on the box.  You might show
photos of that.

This is just CONSTRUCTIVE criticism now.  I admire your
effort.  The offer still stands if you want to use the
DMCForum web site to publish your stuff.  You can put links
to your site or have the forum host it.  All that solar
powered battery back up stuff you use and yet your site
isn't too reliable, eh? ;-)

Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=267637.4116719.5338353.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1754452/R=0/SIG=11ti8tui3/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=6